Med speak + More

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Where in the world will he go?

So the last of the programs has spoken, and with sadness i must report that Columbia did not give me an interview. They even sent me "the Dear Applicant" letter. Oh well.
So i stand now, i got 19 interviews.. 2 rejections..(the other being Stanford) and i scheduled 11 interviews.. (rejecting UC Davis, UT, Cornell, Lenox Hill, Duke, Georgetown, GW, USC..) (Why reject new york programs? Cuz Lenox Hill is also called Lenox Chill and Cornell is almost purely private.. i would lose my mind)

Sigh.. so the running first choice is now NYU which I was getting more excited about anywaz.
Here's a current look at what my match list would look like pre-interviews:
NYU (cuz its Bellevue.. and it rocks)
Brown (cuz of their sexy international health elective)
University of NC (has the most amazing nephrology program.. the textbooks come from there)
RWJ (cuz it's my HOME! dont u wanna go to your HOME!)
UCLA (I realize UCLA is an amazing program, and should be ranked 2nd... but its far and my parents will have collective seizures if i match in cali)
Temple
Baylor (sexy name.. work you like a dog.. non 80 hour compliant)
Yale (sexy name.. but not very good in the IM community also likely non 80 hr compliant)
NJM
St. Peters (still going out of respect for Karen, Dr. Zetkulic and of course my mentor Dr. Kothari)

I think i have to go to all these interviews.. although i liked it better when i applied in med school.. i interviewed twice.. got in to RWJ.. and quit all the rest. (here i cant do that cuz we cant get guarantees) or better yet in college when i didnt interview at all.. sent in two apps, got early decision at cooper and was done.
All this work is very new to me.

Oh yeah so i had the interview at NJM. A program I knew very little about. I actually liked it a lot.. it'll proly go up ont he list.. but i dont know what/how to bump it. They say they get a lot of resident independence (which is a key factor in all of these programs), even at their private hospital at Hackensack.. they only cover service patients. (which makes it more appealing than princeton for RWJ where u do all the private's dirty work) and its next door in Bergen County. Of course that means living with my folks..a plus and minus.
The interview was non-chalant and they were generally nice folk. I gotta good vibe.. but I would have a harder time getting a fellowship..

Im out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
stats counter