Med speak + More

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Interview season! Rapid fire posting continues!

Ok. After this I will start the Roomba work and arrange my match list.

I just wanted to detail the updates on the interview season:
NYU- Loved it. Its perfect for the grassroots doctor that I wanna be. NO OVERNIGHT call. Ancillary staff is improving.
Brown- Good program. Strange hospital setup, its 2 hospitals and a VA. Rhode Island Hospital and Miriam Hospital, strangely they are both privates, but RIH is more like a community hospital and Miriam Hospital is more like a classic private. About 25% of the list is privates and the rest is service. (See Dec 1st's post for my feelings on private patients)
UNC- going in two weeks
RWJ- Good times. Nephro program is weak tho, except for Dr. Kabis. Funny story: Dr. Das, the GI chairman, was my interviewer. He was very much a typical Desi, but the wierd part was that after asking me where else I was applying, he immediately said he would call up the program director at NYU, in my behalf. (So weird, when he spent the first half of the interview detailing exactly why I shouldn't leave)
St. Peters/Drexel: Loved it. Nephro program is with the Ruddy/Beale group, who has two new recent hires. One of which was Dr. Finkelstein who had the HIGHEST SCORE ON THE NEPHRO BOARDS IN THE NATION! I would love to be their fellow. Damn, i'd take the job rite now if i could. Only potential problems: while the teaching at St. Peters is amazing and superior to that of RWJ, the fellow residents will be stupider than me. Its a very new program, so its not exactly attracting the greatest applicants.
UCLA- pending a very long flight to cali..
Temple- REALLY NICE! focused on all the rite things duirng the interview, a lot of resident autonomy. Downsides: No night float, hence OVERNIGHT CALL EVERY 4th NIGHT.
Baylor- well its houston, and i made the trip there. I dont think that houston is quite rite for me tho.. and again no night float.
Yale- Pending

3 more to go!
I'm gonna start working on the spreadsheet that will semi-quantatively decide what I should rank.

3 Comments:

  • Sweet. I got an email last week from NRMP talling me I was autimatically withdrawn form the match due to "one of the military match appointments". I was gonna withdraw once I got my contract, but less work for me, I guess. I am so jealous that you're almost done. I have 2 months of psych, 1 month of trauma, and 1 month of ambulatory left still. I am finishing up neuro this week - exam on Friday.

    Lemme know how things are going. And are you really free this month? I am off for a week after Neuro. But I guess you're probably gonna be interviewing. Milo's coming down tomorrow to stay over my place for an interview in Philly.

    By Blogger Amit, at 12:14 PM  

  • trust me.. its better to be done with match than it is with school ;)

    I am "free", but i still have to take a trip to NC and Yale, pack for Costa Rica and move out of my apt. So i still thinks thats a lot on my plate for two weeks, but i can still have some time.

    By Blogger AKJ, at 7:23 AM  

  • Salaam,

    Mash'allah! Glad to hear you're just as popular with the Big schools as you are with the ladies. J/k, So I'll be coming to the states soon insh'allah. Hope I don't miss ya. Take care, and may Allah give you the best of success in this life (and the hereafter).

    -Hyder

    By Blogger Abu Unaysah, at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Counter
stats counter